Husband of American woman ‘who fled to the U.S. after running over and killing British teenager’ was not a registered diplomat, says lawyer
- Anne Sacoolas is believed to have been involved in a car crash back in August
- Was granted diplomatic immunity because of her husband Jonathan Sacoolas
- Lawyer Mark Stephens has revealed Mr Sacoolas isn’t part of the official list
Anne Sacoolas is believed to have been involved in the crash that killed Harry Dunn in August
A lawyer has claimed that the husband of an American woman who was granted diplomatic immunity after teenager Harry Dunn was killed in a car crash, isn’t actually on the official list.
International lawyer Mark Stephens said that Jonathan Sacoolas is not part of the official diplomatic list.
Mark Stephens claimed this means Mr Sacoolas’ dependents may not be allowed protection through diplomatic immunity.
Speaking to Sky News, Mr Stephens said the Foreign Office had confirmed this information to him.
Mr Sacoolas’ wife, Anne flew to the US soon after the fatal crash on August 27.
Police believe she was involved in the incident and that the 42-year-old had pulled out on the wrong side of the road as she emerged from Northamptonshire’s RAF Croughton.
Harry, who worked at a petrol station, was on his way to his father’s house in Brackley, Northants, when the collision happened outside RAF Croughton, a US intelligence hub.
The teeanger, who had clocked up 50,000 miles on motorcycles, suffered horrific injuries and died in hospital.
Harry Dunn (pictured above) was on his way to his father’s house in Brackley, Northants, when the collision happened outside RAF Croughton
Since 1994 diplomatic immunity has been extended to diplomats and their dependants outside of London as part of a special agreement.
However this will not apply to Mrs Sacoolas if her husband was not on the list and if this is the case it could be that the family of Harry Dunn are unable to sue her.
Charlotte Charles (pictured) has asked for Mrs Sacoolas to come back to the UK
It was reported that Mrs Sacoolas was given protection under a bilateral UK-US deal which allowed spies from the US to work from the UK without fear of prosecution.
MailOnline has contacted the Foreign Office.
Harry’s parents have previously said that they want her to apologise face-to-face.
Charlotte Charles said Mrs Sacoolas must answer questions over the death of Harry, 19.
The 42-year-old mother of three has returned to the US where she is hiding behind diplomatic immunity.
‘All we need to do is ask her to come back,’ said Mrs Charles, 44. ‘It’s not much to ask. She’s left a family in complete ruin. We’re broken.’
London and Washington were locked in an extraordinary standoff last night over the issue. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has been urging US ambassador Woody Johnson and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to reconsider their protection for Mrs Sacoolas.
Mrs Sacoolas, who had her 12-year-old son in the car when the crash happened, was spoken to by police the following day – August 28 – and said she had no plans to leave the UK.
Officers became aware immunity was an issue because her husband was a diplomat and applied to the US embassy for a waiver to allow them to question her.
But they were later informed the waiver had been refused and Mrs Sacoolas had left the country.
The Prime Minister’s Official Spokesman said: ‘The Foreign Secretary spoke with Secretary of State Pompeo last night and reiterated our position that we want the US to reconsider their decision.
‘The Prime Minister’s view is that it is not right that diplomatic immunity can be used for this purpose and we hope than Anne Sacoolas will come back to the UK and engage properly with the processes of law.
‘The Prime Minister has said that if this issue is not resolved he will take it up with the president. That remains the case.’
He would not give a firm timescale in which that might happen but added: ‘This is clearly a pressing matter for the UK.’