Staff and students may have been exposed to asbestos after the hazardous material was found riddled in the roof of Sydney high school.
The dangerous material was found at Castle Hill High School during a roof cavity inspection by the NSW Education Department earlier this year.
At least one staff member raised concern that pieces of the ceiling may have fallen on them.
Exposure to asbestos increases the risk of developing cancers of the lung, ovary and larynx.
The dangerous material was found at Castle Hill High School (pictured) during a roof cavity inspection by the NSW Education Department earlier this year
A spokesman for the department said there was a low risk of exposure.
He said classes were moved to other rooms and access to the top floors of certain blocks was restricted while remediation work was done over the past two months.
‘An independent hygienist has advised the potential for exposure to asbestos is low, however, staff who wish to be tested for asbestos-related conditions have been asked to consult their GP,’ he said.
He said staff had been offered onsite counselling support and students have school counsellors available.
Concerned individuals can also record their details on the National Asbestos Exposure Register, he said.
‘The department acknowledges that even the smallest traces of hazardous materials can be an unsettling experience for our school communities.
Exposure to asbestos (pictured) increases the risk of developing cancers of the lung, ovary and larynx
‘The department’s role is to be vigilant across all schools, and to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of students and staff at all times.’
Australia was one of the highest users of asbestos per capita before it was phased out in the 1980s.
A national ban on asbestos, its importation and all products containing asbestos came into effect at the end of 2003.
There were 30 Sydney schools were found to have asbestos in 2017.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted the NSW Education Department for comment.