- Conor McGregor arrested in Corsica on suspicion of indecent exposure but the fighter denies any wrongdoing.
- “Conor McGregor vigorously denies any accusations of misconduct,” a representative of his said Saturday.
- Reports in France say McGregor was taken into police custody.
- A September 10 complaint accused the former champion MMA fighter of “attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition,” a Bastia prosecutor told AFP Sport.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Conor McGregor was arrested in Corsica on suspicion of indecent exposure, but he denies any wrongdoing.
“Conor Mcgregor vigorously denies any accusations of misconduct,” a representative for the MMA fighter told TMZ Sports.
On Saturday, a local court told AFP Sport that the Irishman was arrested for indecent exposure in connection with an incident in France.
“Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr Conor Anthony McGregor was the subject of a hearing by the police,” the Bastia prosecutor’s office wrote, AFP Sports reported.
—AFP Sport English (@AFP_Sport) September 12, 2020
McGregor, who had been vacationing on a yacht in the Mediterranean, abruptly said he was retired from mixed martial arts earlier in the year.
But the former two-weight UFC champion did not complete exit paperwork with the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), was never removed from the drug-testing pool, and even provided a sample drug test this week while on a yacht.
On Friday, the Irish man said he would be spending time traveling the Mediterranean, continuing his holidays after providing the USADA sample.
By Saturday, reports began to emerge that he has been in police custody.
The French daily newspaper Le Parisien said that the incident took place on the evening of September 6 to September 7 at a bar in Calvi, which is on the northern coast of Corsica, approximately 200 kilometers south of Monaco.
McGregor had consumed alcohol, Le Parisien said, adding that investigations are now underway.
Insider contacted representatives for McGregor but is yet to receive a comment.