The daughters of an elderly man who vanished on board Sydney’s Manly ferry have lashed out at police for taking five days to review CCTV footage, while she watches the ‘pointless’ search from her quarantine hotel.
Kenneth Hanes, 73, was last seen boarding a ferry from Manly to Circular Quay on the night of Tuesday September 22.
He left his home in Acacia Gardens, in Sydney’s northwest, just after midday before catching a bus to Blacktown and a train to Central Station.
Mr Hanes then made his way to Circular Quay about 2.30pm where he was caught on CCTV walking back and forth towards the Opera House before boarding a ferry to Manly.
Kenneth Hanes, 73, was last seen boarding a ferry from Manly to Circular Quay on the night of Tuesday September 22
The last known sighting of Mr Hanes was at 8.05pm on Tuesday when he got on a return ferry at Manly Wharf, but mysteriously never got off when it docked at Circular Quay
The last known sighting of Mr Hanes was at 8.05pm on Tuesday when he got on a return ferry at Manly Wharf, but mysteriously never got off when it docked at Circular Quay.
Mr Hanes’ daughter Kathryn has slammed police for waiting almost a week to send officers to the harbour.
‘A 73-year-old man has fallen off a ferry on a cold, dark night. It’s a disgrace that six days later I’m sitting here in a police quarantine hotel, overlooking the Circular Quay ferry pier, watching a pointless search of the harbour,’ she told The Australian.
‘That could have been done on Tuesday night. There will be no body. We will never ever find our father again because police left it too late.’
On Thursday Mr Hanes’ wife Nola logged into his Opal card history that revealed he travelled from Acacia Gardens to Blacktown.
Kathryn and her sister Fiona asked police to track their father’s movements on public transport in the city, which revealed he caught the ferry but never disembarked at Circular Quay.
But Fiona told NCA NewsWire that detectives still hadn’t reviewed this evidence.
A scan of Mr Hanes’ internet history revealed he had searched for directions on how to get to Manly.
But Kathryn claims despite this information, police still only focused on a 1.6km radius around his Acacia home because his phone pinged there at 10pm on Tuesday.
Mr Hanes’ daughters asked police to track his movements on public transport in the city, which revealed he caught the ferry but never disembarked at Circular Quay
‘We asked why police didn’t do an immediate search of his travel card and his internet history, and police didn’t have an answer to that,’ Fiona said.
It wasn’t until Friday night that authorities contacted Fiona to tell her that her father likely went missing in Sydney harbour.
The family took the investigation into their own hands and searched for Mr Hanes in the harbour and along cliff faces at North Head and Shelly Beach.
‘Manly to Circular Quay is the busiest route on one of the busiest harbours in the world. How does a 73 year-old-man, who had already been reported missing, fall from the Manly ferry and it takes this long for authorities to even notice?’ Kathryn said.
Kathryn said her father was ‘loved and adored’ in the tight-knit Acacia Gardens community and would be missed.