The devastated wife of an Australian father who vanished after a typhoon capsized a livestock ship has pleaded with authorities to continue their search.
Lukas Orda, from the Gold Coast, was lost at sea when the Gulf of Livestock 1 sank on September 2 in the East China Sea, off the coast of Japan.
He was among a crew of 43, including a second Australian, William Mainprize, from Sydney, on board the ship – which was also carrying 6,000 animals.
Japan’s Coast Guard suspended the search for 40 missing sailors a week later after struggling to find survivors.
But the 25-year-old’s wife Emma has not given up hope, posting an emotional video with their six-month-old son, Theodore.
Lukas Orda (pictured with his wife Emma) was lost at sea when the Gulf of Livestock 1 capsized on September 2
‘Each moment is a living nightmare,’ she said.
‘To the Japanese coast guard, your ongoing search inspires our hope.
‘I beg you to help us keep the search going so that this nightmare can end for all of us.’
Mr Orda’s parents Ulrich and Sabine were teary eyed as they issued their plea to the Japanese government on Monday.
‘We implore you not to give up on the chance of there being survivors,’ Ulrich said, according to 9 News.
‘Please go out and search for our boy,’ Sabine added.
Mr Orda’s parents Ulrich and Sabine (pictured) were teary eyed as they issued their plea to the Japanese government on Monday
Young father and veterinarian Lukas Orda (pictured with wife Emma) is among 40 crew members still missing after their live export ship disappeared in the East China Sea
The Orda family said a New Zealand maritime expert told them the Japanese coastguard may have been looking in the wrong place.
They claimed to have maps of the searched area, along with maps predicting where the seamen may have washed up.
‘And this reinforces our concern that they may have already been well out of the area searched,’ they said.
The network reported that a survivor told authorities everyone on board was wearing a life jacket before the ship sank.
Mr Mainprize’s family are also hopeful the lost men could be found alive after his brother Tom said last week they had received ‘good snippets of information’.
‘It’s a pretty tough time, it’s a bit of a mixture of emotions as well because obviously Will’s missing,’ he told Today on Friday morning.
Mr Mainprize’s brother Tom (pictured) said the family are hopeful the 27-year-old is still alive following ‘good snippets of information’
Rescue teams have scaled back their search for the ship and the remaining 40 crew members
‘We went through a period of mourning but then we got all these good snippets of information that’s giving us hope that he’s still out there and with the other crew and just waiting to get picked up.’
Tom said they first thought the ship was hit by a rogue wave they ‘weren’t ready’ for.
‘But then we’ve got indications that they were kind of floundering for a while with the engines cut off and they had time to prepare,’ he said.
‘Considering that and what they’d do in that situation, we think there’d be time to get off the boat.
‘We know that the life rafts were deployed so there is a change they’re on a vessel somewhere.’
A Filipino crew member (pictured) who was rescued after a distress signal was sent by the Australian owned Gulf Livestock 1 said the ship capsized and sunk in rough weather
He explained that the raft could have taken crew members to one of many nearby islands, where they could still be desperately waiting for help.
Tom said the it’s ‘very strange’ authorities decided to scale down the search with 40 people still missing.
The teary-eyed brother pleaded for anyone able to help reignite a search.
‘We just need everyone, not only our government, but all the other governments involved, even like private enterprise, who ever can help us with the search,’ he said.
A petition calling on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to resume its search has gathered more than 50,000 signatures.
‘Anything we can do right now to make noise, spread awareness and create attention to this issue is absolutely necessary,’ the petition reads.
‘We believe Will and these men to still be alive, but time is of the essence.’
Japan’s coast guard rescued a second survivor on Friday (pictured) after rescuing the first survivor on the same night the ship was lost
Footage also emerged showing panicked crew trying to stem the flow of water in the hours before it sank (pictured)
The vessel left New Zealand on August 14 and was due to arrive at the Port of Jingtang in Tangshan, China four days later.
Footage emerged of New Zealand man Scott Harris, 37, standing in ankle deep water as it flooded a cabin inside the ship a day before it capsized and sank.
As the ship sways in the ocean water is seen gushing from one side of the vessel to the other while Mr Harris grips the wall for support.
‘Really safe, really really safe,’ the man filming is heard saying.
As it headed across the East China Sea, the vessel began to flounder and the crew battled to keep it afloat.
The clip then cut to footage from outside the ship, which was carrying 43 crew and 5,800 cows, showing heavy conditions bearing down on them, One News reported.
Footage emerged showing the panicked crew trying to stem the flow of water in the hours before it sank
Another video showed the panicked crew trying to stem the flow of water in the hours before it sank.
Seawater inundated the interior of the vessel and was seen cascading over the electrics and machinery.
The dramatic images came as it was revealed Japan’s coast guard had rescued a second survivor on September 4.
Hours earlier, an unconscious crew member was also recovered but later died.
The first survivor, a Filipino crewman, was found floating in the East China Sea in a life jacket on the same night the ship was lost.