in

Donald Trump to become first president to speak at annual anti-abortion March for Life event

The event will give Trump another opportunity to strengthen his ties to anti-abortion rights supporters, a key coalition of his political base in his 2020 reelection campaign. The Trump administration has consistently worked to regulate or restrict abortion access, appointed two Supreme Court justices seen as holding anti-abortion views and on Friday announced it will take legal action against California over the state’s mandate that insurers, including private health insurance policies, cover abortions.

The march aligns with the week of the 47th anniversary of Roe v. Wade this year, as per tradition, in an anti-abortion response to the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case that legalized abortion nationwide. The event was founded in 1974 by anti-abortion activist Nellie Gray, and typically attracts about 100,000 participants hailing from across the country. The plan is to continue the event until Roe is overturned, according to the march’s organizers.

Crowds had assembled on the National Mall on Friday morning well ahead of the event’s 12 p.m. ET kickoff time. There was a festival-like atmosphere as music blared from speakers near the main stage. Many in attendance, including priests and school tours, had come from across the country to attend, some wearing pins and buttons. Among the messages on printed signs were “Love Life / Choose Life,” “Save the Baby Humans” and “Pro-Life Voices for Trump.”

Nancy Weber, 57, of St. Charles, Illinois, told CNN she left home at 4 p.m. Thursday in order to make the 15-hour drive to Washington to “show our support for life.” She said an unplanned pregnancy earlier in her life, which resulted in her giving the child up for adoption, helped change her views.

“What is a world without children? Our greatest asset is people,” she said. “So I do believe adoption is the loving option.”

The Nieves family of Connecticut, calling themselves “lifelong pro-lifers,” made the decision to attend this year’s march before they knew Trump was speaking.

Although he’s “not a huge Trump fan,” said 22-year-old Matthew Nieves, “it’s fantastic that he’s supporting this.”

An ally of anti-abortion rights movement

Trump will be the first president to attend the march, according to March for Life President Jeanne Mancini, and a news release for the event said that Trump will speak at the event. Trump was also the first president to speak at the march via satellite feed when he addressed participants in 2018.

Trump regularly discusses the need to restrict abortion rights on the campaign trail and has taken numerous actions in office to do so.

Since taking office in 2017, Trump has reinstated a ban on US government funding for international non-governmental organizations that perform or promote abortions, appointed anti-abortion judges and opposed abortions later in pregnancy. The Department of Health and Human Services has also advanced multiple measures to regulate or restrict abortion access, some with the professed aim of protecting health care providers’ religious freedom, during his tenure.
The Trump campaign will also create another pro-life coalition going into the 2020 election, as it did in 2016, to be helmed again by anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser, the group’s national spokeswoman announced on the eve of the march.

The Friday event — themed “Life Empowers: Pro-Life is Pro-Woman” — will feature a rally on the National Mall at noon followed by a march that concludes at the steps of the Supreme Court. House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, a Louisiana Republican, and GOP Rep. Chris Smith of New Jersey also are slated to speak at the march.

The march has enjoyed support from multiple Republican administrations in the past and Trump’s has been no different. In 2017, Vice President Mike Pence and White House counselor Kellyanne Conway both spoke at the event, with the vice president doing so again in 2019. Former presidents have made telephone calls in to the march, with both Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush addressing the event via phone.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

CNN’s Jacqueline Howard contributed to this report.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Beats’ new Solo Pro wireless noise-canceling headphones are $50 off

‘Fox & Friends’ Desperately Tries to End Rudy Giuliani Interview, Repeatedly Fails