The ex-partner of a man who was allegedly savagely attacked by a group of private schoolboys leaving him in a coma, has revealed what his daughter asks every day.
Brett Halcro was riding his bike through a park in Pyrmont, Sydney on the night of July 31 when he was set upon by a group of teenagers in an apparent random attack.
A court heard how the group allegedly knocked him unconscious with a bottle, before stabbing him in the stomach and slashing his face with a knife so badly he is expected to be left blind in one eye.
Theresa Keecherer, Mr Halcro’s former partner with whom he shares a four-year-old daughter, said she has trouble explaining to her daughter where her father is because it is ‘too traumatic’.
‘She asks after him everyday. It breaks my heart,’ Ms Keecherer told News Corp.
Theresa Keecherer, Mr Halcro’s former partner with whom he shares a four-year-old daughter (pictured), said she has trouble explaining to her daughter where her father is
Mr Halcro is from Melbourne but was in Sydney when the borders closed in July
Mr Halcro would Skype with his daughter every day, she explained, and she idolised the 36-year-old calling him her superhero.
‘They would often play superhero make believe games together where he would refer to her as his ‘Super BatGirl’,’ she said.
‘Now that he is left with horrific facial injuries, sadly the Skype calls won’t be happening again, or at least for a long time.’
She said when her daughter asks after him she can only tell her that he had an accident and needs to sleep a lot to get better so will talk to her later.
Ms Keecherer said she praying her former partner makes a full recovery or at least enough to enjoy being a father again.
Another family member provided an update to a GoFundMe page, saying Mr Halcro is making a steady recovery in intensive care with doctors hoping to wake him from an induced coma in the next week.
‘Brett is making steady improvements in ICU. He is still heavily sedated and on a respirator, but doctors are hopeful to be able to wake him up in the coming days.’
They said while the injuries to Mr Halcro’s face were ‘substantial and confronting’ the surgeons had done an impressive job.
‘Bless them and all the medical staff for their ongoing efforts. Subsequent surgeries will be very likely and I shall keep this page updated’.
A group of nine teenagers have been arrested over the disturbing attack where they allegedly knocked the father-of-one from his bike, before stomping on him and stabbing him in the eye
Mr Halcro is originally from the Gold Coast but moved to Melbourne and had been visiting Sydney working for his father when the borders closed.
Ms Keecherer said he had been severely injured once before when he was hit by a car in Melbourne about four years ago, leaving him with leg injuries and PTSD.
Nine teenage boys have been arrested over the shocking July 31 attack with at least one reportedly attending Sydney private school Barker College.
Court documents include text message allegedly sent by members of the group after the attack that reveal disturbing details.
A drug-addicted 15-year-old (left) had his actions slammed as ‘vile’ by a magistrate, while a 16-year-old who was allegedly wielding a knife (right) was refused bail by the children’s court
‘I put the shattered bottle in his stomach and then (another boy) slit his face like 15 times and stabbed him in the eye.’ one text allegedly read.
So far nine teenagers (one pictured) – some of them students at elite Sydney private schools – have been charged over the attack, but because of their age none can be identified
‘He stuck it in his eye. Put it in deeper. And swivelled the knife around. So funny.’
It is then understood he was asked if they knew the victim.
‘Nah mate. Ahahahaha he was in the wrong place at the wrong time,’ he allegedly replied.’
Surry Hills Childrens Court heard that only one boy appeared to show remorse after the attacks and cooperate with police.
He was allegedly then sent death threats by one of the group.
Eight of the nine boys arrested, who are aged between 15 and 18, are charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
The maximum penalty for that offence is 25 years in jail.
The alleged attackers and some friends had rented an Airbnb in the city for the night and CCTV footage from the apartment will be used in evidence.