Gordon’s fast food: Asian duck salad
Whip up delicious meals the whole family will adore in just 30 minutes with these recipes from Gordon Ramsay’s new cookbook
This spectacular Asian duck salad (pictured) is oozing with aromatic flavours for a hearty lunch
The robust, gamey flavour of duck goes brilliantly with Chinese five-spice, which is a mix of star anise, Chinese cinnamon, Sichuan pepper, cloves and fennel seed.
It gives an instant Asian vibe to stir-fries, ribs, chicken wings and pork, or you can use it in baking to add a new dimension to cakes and fruit puddings.
- 2 duck breasts
- 1tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 radishes, finely sliced
- ¹/3 of a cucumber, halved lengthways and sliced at an angle
- 2 large handfuls of watercress
- 2 large handfuls of beansprouts
- 2 large handfuls of mixed salad leaves
- A small handful of coriander leaves
- 1tsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded if you want a milder hit, and finely sliced at an angle
- 2 spring onions, green parts only, finely sliced
For the dressing
- 1½tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1tsp peeled and grated fresh root ginger
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 1tbsp rice vinegar
- Juice of ½ a lime
Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Using a very sharp knife, score the skin on the duck breasts in diagonal lines, first in one direction, then the other, so you have a diamond pattern. Rub in the Chinese five-spice, then season both sides with salt and pepper.
Put the duck breasts, skin-side down, in a non-stick, ovenproof frying pan. Place the pan over a medium-high heat and cook for 7 minutes, or until the fat has rendered and the skin is crisp and golden.
Meanwhile, put the radishes and cucumber into a salad bowl with the watercress, beansprouts, salad leaves and coriander. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.
Turn the duck breasts over and place the frying pan in the oven for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes.
Add half the dressing to the salad bowl and mix well. Divide the salad between 2 serving plates. Carve the duck into thick slices and arrange on top of the salad. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, chilli and spring onions, and serve with the remaining dressing.
Quick & Delicious: 100 Recipes In 30 Minutes Or Less by Gordon Ramsay is published by Hodder, £25. © Gordon Ramsay. To order a copy for £20 call 01603 648155 or go to mailshop.co.uk. Free delivery on all orders. Offer valid until 02/11/2019.