Gordon’s fast food: Chicken biryani
Whip up delicious meals the whole family will adore in just 30 minutes with these recipes from Gordon Ramsay’s new cookbook
This delicious chicken biryani dish (pictured) has a range of flavours and textures for a delightful dinner
Biryani is a firm family favourite in our house, being mildly spiced but still full of flavour and nicely filling. In India, biryani is traditionally a layered dish, but this all-in together version is quick, light and just as tasty.
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2tbsp Madras curry paste
- 350g (12oz) boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 350g (12oz) basmati rice
- 700ml (1¼pt) chicken stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 large handfuls of fresh coriander
- 120g (4½oz) fresh or frozen peas
- Poppadoms, to serve
For the minted yoghurt
- 1½tsp ground cumin
- 300g (10½oz) natural yoghurt
- A small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
Place a large, non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and add the oil. When hot, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger, then add the curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the chicken, then add the tomatoes, rice, stock and seasoning. Stir and bring to a simmer.
Cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the minted yoghurt. Put the cumin in a frying pan over a high heat and stir until roasted and aromatic.
Transfer to a bowl, add the yoghurt and mint, season and mix. Roughly chop the spinach and coriander, then add to the chicken pan together with the peas.
Stir well and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Serve the curry in bowls with the minted yoghurt and poppadoms.
Quick & Delicious: 100 Recipes In 30 Minutes Or Less by Gordon Ramsay is published by Hodder, £25. © Gordon Ramsay. To order a copy for £20 call 01603 648155 or go to mailshop.co.uk. Free delivery on all orders. Offer valid until 02/11/2019.