in

'Horrified' mum issues a dire warning after her daughter's wheat bag caught FIRE

A mother has issued a dire warning to parents after a wheat bag she uses to warm her daughter’s bed caught alight.

Belle Goldie heated the wheat bag in the microwave, as per the instructions, on Sunday night and left it on the kitchen bench of her home in Penrith, west Sydney.

The mother-of-three had already placed her three-year-old son’s wheat bag under his pillow, and planned to put the second bag – shaped like a stuffed bear – under her one-year-old daughter Pho’s pillow.

Moments after she placed the microwaved bag on the bench, her partner Andy said he could smell something burning. 

Belle Goldie (pictured with her daughter) heated the wheat bag in the microwave, as per the instructions, on Sunday night

Belle Goldie (pictured with her daughter) heated the wheat bag in the microwave, as per the instructions, on Sunday night

The 39-year-old planned to put the second bag - shaped like a stuffed bear - under her one-year-old daughter Pho's pillow

The 39-year-old planned to put the second bag – shaped like a stuffed bear – under her one-year-old daughter Pho’s pillow

‘I noticed the animal smoking and opened it up to see the wheat bag on fire,’ she wrote in a Facebook post.

‘What if that had of been in Pho’s bed!’ she exclaimed.

The 39-year-old said she usually puts the bag straight in to her daughter’s bed, but placed it on the bench first that night.

‘Somebody was watching over us last night,’ she told 7 News.

‘I wouldn’t even like to think about what would have happened if I had placed it into her bed… and then placed her there as well.’

'I noticed the animal smoking and opened it up to see the wheat bag on fire,' she wrote in a Facebook post

‘I noticed the animal smoking and opened it up to see the wheat bag on fire,’ she wrote in a Facebook post

Pictured: A freshly microwaved wheat bag that caught alight moments before Ms Goldie place it in her infant daughter's bed

Pictured: A freshly microwaved wheat bag that caught alight moments before Ms Goldie place it in her infant daughter’s bed

Ms Goldie said her heart was pounding as she ran to remove the first wheat bag from her son’s bed. 

Facebook users told the mother to place a cup of water in the microwave with the wheat bag to stop it from drying out and catching fire.

But Ms Goldie said she checked the instructions on the product and the manufacturer’s website and nothing was said about a cup of water.

She has encouraged other parents not to wheat bags, which have been responsible for numerous house fires and fatalities.

Authorities warn to not use wheat bags in bed as they can explode and quickly go up in flames (pictured)

Authorities warn to not use wheat bags in bed as they can explode and quickly go up in flames (pictured)








In 2018, firefighters were called to the home of an elderly man whose wheat bag had exploded in his bed. 

Emergency services said the man suffered burns on his legs.

NSW Fire and Rescue previously said wheat bags should only be used for muscular aches and pains are not typically designed to be used in bed.

HOW TO USE WHEAT BAG SAFELY

  • Only use wheat bags for direct application to body aches and pains. They are not designed like hot water bottles to warm beds.
  • Regularly check bag for signs of wear and tear. Ageing makes the bags combustible. 
  • Make sure the wheat bag is cooled before storing.
  • If bag catches fire, call triple-0.
  • Don’t overheat the wheat bag in the microwave.
  • Don’t eave the wheat bag unsupervised.
  • Don’t sleep with wheat bag. Especially children and elderly.
  • Don’t use the bag to warm bed as it can ignite.
  • Don’t reheat the bag before it’s cooled.

Source: NSW Fire and Rescue

Source link

Woman shocks policeman with highest drink-drive result he's seen in Australia in a decade

Myleene Klass admits lockdown has made her slow down and enjoy family time