Hunt for murder suspect after man killed in ‘random’ Birmingham stabbings

CCTV image of the man
Police have released these images of a man they wish to speak to

Police have released CCTV footage showing a man who is ‘wanted on suspicion of murder’ after a ‘random’ stabbing spree in Birmingham left one man dead.

The images show the suspect, who is wearing a baseball cap and dark hoodie with distinctive white drawstrings, pacing around the city centre streets.

He’s shown walking into picture before stopping on a street corner and apparently shouting at someone before walking out of view again.

Anyone who recognises him is being urged to get in touch with the force. Police say no one should try to approach him and should instead call 999 immediately.

No arrests have yet been made as part of the investigation. One person died and seven others were injured when they were attacked by a lone knifeman across four locations in the city centre.

After sharing the image on social media at around 7pm, West Midlands Police later said it had had a ‘strong response and detectives are ‘following up several new lines of enquiry.’

The man who died was 23-years-old and was stabbed in Irving Street, police have confirmed.

A man and a woman, aged 19 and 32, suffered critical injuries, and five other people, aged between 23 and 33, were also injured. They were treated in hospital and so far two have been discharged.

Chief Superintendent Steve Graham said: ‘We have worked throughout the day to trawl CCTV footage and speak to witnesses to ensure we release the best possible video and image of the man we want to speak to.

‘At this stage we believe that the attacks were random and we have no indication of a motive. I would urge people to remain vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour to us.

‘We are appealing for anyone who recognises the man in the footage to contact us urgently. We have a hotline number and a dedicated web page where you can submit information, photos and videos. If you see him, please do not approach him, but dial 999 immediately.’

Anyone who sees this man has been told to call 999 immediately (Picture: West Midlands Police)

#BREAKING | This is the first footage of a man we want to speak to after last night's murder and stabbings in #Birmingham.
The images have been released as part of the murder investigation (Picture: West Midlands Police)

A massive manhunt has been under way all day after the 90-minute rampage which started just after midnight.

West Midlands Police declared a major incident after being called to reports of multiple stabbings.

Savvas Sfrantzis, who owns Mykonos bar and grill in Hurst Street, said he witnessed a woman being repeatedly stabbed, just across the street, after he was alerted by her screams.

He said: ‘I looked at him, facing him, and I can see he had a blade, small, not very big, and he was stabbing her in the neck.’

He described how the attacker was ‘so cold’, walking calmly away and ‘smirking’, while other bar staff bravely tried to follow him.

A major incident was declared early this morning (Picture: Getty Images)

Police forensics officers at work in Hurst Street, in Birmingham after a number of people were stabbed in the city centre. West Midlands Police said they were called to reports of a stabbing at around 12.30am on Sunday and a number of other stabbings were reported in the area at around the same time. PA Photo. Issue date: Sunday September 6, 2020. See PA story POLICE Birmingham. Photo credit should read: Jacob King/PA Wirework
One man was killed and seven others were injured, two seriously (Picture: PA)

Mr Graham said initial calls reported a stabbing in Constitution Hill around 12.30am, and then at the nearby Livery Street next to Snow Hill railway station.

Paramedics said they responded to first reports of a call in Livery Street, in the north of the city centre, at about 12.40am.

The attacker then moved ‘north to south’ through the city centre, said Mr Graham, into the heart of the city’s Gay Village quarter.

However, it was over an hour between the Livery Street violence and the next attack in Irving Street, across the city, at 1.52am which left a man fatally injured.

Shortly afterwards, the emergency services were called to another knife assault in Hurst Street at 2am.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source link

Brisbane woman shares ingenious hack using hairdryer to heat up food while stuck in hotel quarantine

Cameron Peak Fire explodes to 40,000 acres