‘It’s a disaster’: Jammed door holds up LRT for 2nd straight morning


For the second morning in a row, a single jammed door caused long delays and crowded platforms up and down the Confederation Line, with some fed up passengers finishing their journey on foot.

A train door became stuck at Lyon station at about 8 a.m., causing delays that lasted until about 9:30 a.m. Once again, the domino effect meant passengers who continued to pile off buses crammed platforms, escalators and concourses, especially at the line’s end points.

It was practically a repeat of Tuesday morning’s commute, only according to some passengers, worse.

Crowds stranded at Tunney’s Pasture on Oct. 9, 2019. (@warby/Twitter)

Many riders opted to walk the 3.5 kilometres from Tunney’s Pasture station to their offices downtown, including Rob Laflèche.

“It’s a disaster,” Laflèche said. “There was no place to come out. There were hundreds and hundreds of people inside [the station], and you can’t do anything.”

OC Transpo ran R1 replacement buses between Tunney’s Pasture and Rideau stations until about 9:20 a.m.

Lane Bourbonniere and Austin Tarin were among the throng of frustrated passengers who elected to hail a cab or summon an Uber to finish their trip.

“It’s a little frustrating because we wake up early to get to work assuming that OC Transpo is going to be reliable, and it’s been showing that it’s not,” Bourbonniere said.

This is ridiculous. All I can do is laugh.– Austin Tarin, passenger

“It’s comical at this point,” Tarin added. “It’s day three and this happens already a second time? This is ridiculous. All I can do is laugh.”

Tarin also had a message for OC Transpo and the city’s general manager of transportation services, John Manconi.

“You rushed it. Fix the stuff or bring buses back at least until the next stage is complete. You can’t be doing this in the first weeks.”

By 9:15 a.m. Line 1 had resumed full service, but OC Transpo anticipated delays would continue for some time.

On Tuesday a passenger held a door open at uOttawa station and broke it, taking more than an hour for train travel to return to normal as the problem train was removed.

When asked about door issues on Friday, before the three week transition period with parallel bus service ended, the city said doors were working properly 80,000 times a day and incidents happened “a very small percentage” of the time.

Source link


Leave a Reply

So Good It Was Worth The Long Wait

Trump impeachment: are we facing a constitutional crisis?