Connecticut man, 37, ‘handed out razor blades to young children trick-or-treating on Halloween’ but he says he never knew they were in the bowl
- Jason Racz, 37, was arrested for allegedly handing out razor blades to young children trick-or-treating on Halloween
- Authorities received reports that their children found the sharp objects in their candy bags near 102 Horseshoe Drive
- Racz was arrested for risk of injury, reckless endangerment and interfering with a police officer
- He denies any involvement, but it currently in police custody with a $250,000 bond
- In another Connecticut city, at least two children were given bags full of THC gummy snacks
Jason Racz (pictured) of Waterbury, Connecticut, is accused of putting razor blades in young trick-or-treater’s candy bags
A Connecticut man is in police custody after local residents reported finding razor blades in their children’s trick-or-treat bags.
Authorities in the city of Waterbury received several reports that loose razor blades were being found in candy baskets near a residence at 102 Horseshoe Drive.
Luckily, none appeared to be inside any candy or other treats.
Authorities identified Jason Racz, 37, as a possible suspect and arrested him Thursday night for risk of injury, reckless endangerment and interfering with a police officer.
Racz told authorities he doesn’t know how the blades ended up in children’s bags.
However, Patch reports that a 3-year-old was at his home and had access to razor blades.
A Connecticut posted a photo of razor blades found in her child’s candy bag on Facebook, adding that ‘people are so malicious’ (pictured)
Mothers in the area posted on Facebook to warn other families of the unexpected sharp objects being given to their young children.
One mother wrote: ‘Wow Parents BEWARE! WATERBURY Hopeville neighborhood!!! Found 2 razors in my sons basket. I feel like going back to each house we went to, wasn’t many either. Lucky he didn’t cut his finger and I checked everything. People are so malicious.’
Another said: ‘While trick or treating in Waterbury my son told me at the 2nd house we went to: he saw them put a razor blade in his bag. I checked at the next house & actually found 2 stuck together.’
‘My 5 yr old started telling houses ‘trick or treat, can I have candy & not a blade please’. It’s not fair that children have to see how evil the world can be, but you can’t trust anyone nowadays.’
Local parents called authorities on Halloween night and reported razor blades being handed out near 102 Horseshoe Drive (pictured)
A second mother came forward and shared a photo of a razor blade she found in her children’s candy bags on Thursday (pictured)
Halloween candy checklist
The Hillcrest Hospital in Oklahoma created an advisory for parents monitoring their children’s candy.
Candy should be discarded if:
- It has an unusual appearance or discoloration
- Tiny pinholes or tears in wrappers
- Spoiled or unwrapped items
- Homemade items or baked goods should be discarded unless you personally know who gave them.
- When in doubt, throw it out.
Racz is being held on a $250,000 bond and is pending arraignment.
No injuries have been reported yet.
Unfortunately, this wasn’t the only trick happening to trick-or-treaters in Connecticut.
About an hour away in Wateford, parents told officers their children were given THC-laced gummy snacks.
The Waterford Police Department said in a Facebook post that the bags were discovered by the children’s parents and police were called around 9pm.
‘The parents inspected the candy and came across the packages shown. No one ingested the candies and no injuries have been reported. The candy was obtained in the area of Gallup Lane in Waterford, CT.’
The bags were labeled as ‘Shake & Baked’ and contained little cubs packed with 10 milligrams of THC.
In Waterford, Connecticut, authorities received reports that at least two children were given THC laced gummy treats on Halloween this year
Authorities searched the area and found at least two children who received the illegal treat.
Police are unsure if the bags were handed out intentionally by the owner or by accident, but they do not believe the incident was targeted.
Authorities have long told parents to inspect their children’s candy bags after trick-or-treating to make sure no unwanted or dangerous items are accidentally consumed.