in

Michelin-starred chef Claude Bosi refused permission to stay in UK after 23 years | UK News

A Michelin-starred chef says he has been refused permission to stay permanently in the UK despite living in the country for 23 years.

Claude Bosi, who runs the Bibendum restaurant in Chelsea, claims his application to allow him to live and work in the UK after Brexit has been denied.

In a post on Instagram, in which he pictured a letter he received from the Home Office, he wrote: “I have been in England for 23 years and today they have send [sic] me this.

“I love Britain I considered until today like home but they just told me after 23 years of tax paid /VAT paid I’m not welcome anymore.”

According to the letter, Mr Bosi applied in October for permission to live permanently in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme, for people who have lived in the country for more than five years.

But the response, dated this week, said this request had been “refused”.

The 47-year-old is the son of Italian parents who moved to France to open a restaurant.

Raised in Lyon, he left for England in his early twenties.

He first worked as a sous chef at Overton Grange in Ludlow, Shropshire, before being promoted to head chef and by January 1999 it received its first Michelin star.

In 2000, he opened his own restaurant, Hibiscus, and was awarded a Michelin star, receiving his second four years later.

He relocated the business to London and then, after it closed in 2016, moved to run the kitchen at Bibendum in the Michelin House building.

It was awarded two Michelin stars less than a year after opening.

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 28: Claude Bosi attends the unveiling of "The Chefs' Legacy", a photograph by Alistair Morrison featuring 18 culinary legends, being auctioned live along with six bespoke hampers created by some of London's top chefs at Fortnum & Mason on January 28, 2019 in London, England. All auction proceeds benefit The Felix Project. (Photo by David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images for Fortnum & Mason)

Image:
Claude Bosi has been living in the UK for 23 years

Mr Bosi is not the first prominent chef to run into the same trouble.

Richard Bertinet, who has lived in the UK for 31 years and has three British children, said he has also been denied the right to stay permanently after Brexit.

EU citizens have to apply via the settlement scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021, as part of post-Brexit plans.

Richard Bertinet says he submitted all the evidence needed for settled status

Image:
Richard Bertinet says he submitted all the evidence needed for settled status

Last week, the department said more than 2.45 million EU citizens had been approved and the number of applications had hit more than 2.7 million – with a backlog of more than 300,000 applications to be processed.

Under the scheme, EU citizens and their relatives, plus those from the European Economic Area (EEA) countries of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway as well as Switzerland, are asked to apply to confirm their immigration status so they can live and work in the UK when freedom of movement ends.

Once granted status, applicants can use the NHS, study and access public funds and benefits, as well as travel in and out of the country.

Both Mr Bosi and the Home Office have been contacted for comment.

Source link

Leave a Reply

DA: Man was justified in shooting, killing robber at strip mall | Lehigh Valley Regional News

Sega app lets players control a claw machine in Japan to win prizes that are delivered to their home