Mother finds mushrooms growing inside her rental home – but claims her real estate agent refuses to do anything about the ‘dangerous’ mould
- Mother issued a desperate plea for help after finding mushroom in window
- She posted a picture of the nasty find to Facebook and begged for advice
- Similar discovery made early this year in Sydney, woman told to abandon home
A terrified mother has issued a desperate plea for help after discovering mushrooms growing inside her rental property.
The Australian woman took to Facebook to ask for advice, claiming her real estate agent refused to do anything about the mould growing in her laundry.
‘I have an almost two-year-old so this was obviously very alarming. Who knows what’s going on behind the walls,’ she wrote.
Scroll down for video
A terrified mother has issued a desperate plea for help after discovering a mushroom growing in the windowsill of her rental property (pictured)
In an image posted online by the woman, a thin mushroom can be seen poking through the gap between the windowsill in her laundry.
The woman said it was not the first time she had found fungi had infested the premises.
‘About six weeks ago, I found a mushroom growing in our laundry,’ she wrote.
She said she was worried as her family had been in the home for 12 months and only just re-signed another 12 month lease.
‘I have contacted the real estate probably five or six times about this, and am told every time I call that the property manager ”isn’t in” or ”isn’t available”’,’ she said.
‘The real estate are aware of the issue, and I have sent photos through but have not heard anything back.’
‘What can I do from here on? I don’t even know how to take it further.’
A similar discovery was made early this year in a home in Sydney. The mother-of-one was urged to abandon her rental apartment after finding mushrooms sprouting from a door frame.
A family have been urged to abandon their rental apartment after discovering mushrooms (pictured) had sprouted from a door frame
The woman said she had ‘freaked out’ when she had first found the fungi.
One social media user warned the mushrooms could make the family ‘so sick’.
‘This happened in our house, and we had to completely reframe the sections of the wall that had rotted out,’ another said.
Alarmed social media users implored her to evacuate the apartment and said the situation was ‘extremely dangerous’ and ‘toxic’.
‘Move, get out of lease. That will go into your furniture, clothes and body,’ one wrote.
While others advised the woman to contact the Residential Tenancies Authority about the issue.
Mould can grow in damp, dark and poorly ventilated areas of the home such as bathrooms or basement areas, according to New South Wales Family and Community services.
The service says the most effective way to prevent mould is to let fresh air and light into the home.
It also states cleaning regularly and controlling the amount of moisture in a home will help to stop the issue.