There are almost 1,000 people in two of Victoria’s COVID-19 hotspots who have refused to undergo testing for the contagious virus.
Premier Daniel Andrews last week announced a suburban ‘testing blitz’ for residents in Broadmeadows and Keilor Downs as part of a desperate attempt to control a spike in infections.
But Mr Andrews on Tuesday afternoon revealed 928 residents in the two Melbourne suburbs had refused the swab.
‘There have been some 233 new cases of coronavirus since last Thursday, since that testing blitz began,’ Mr Andrews said.
There are almost 1,000 people in two of Victoria’s COVID-19 hotspots who have refused to undergo testing
VICTORIA’S SPIKE IN CORONAVIRUS CASES
Source: Department of Health and Human Services
The curve in Victoria has skyrocketed over the past couple of weeks as coronavirus infections continue to grow from in Melbourne
‘That is an unacceptably high number and one that poses a real threat to all of us, not just in those hotspot suburbs but indeed in every suburb and ultimately every community across our state.’
The premier thanked residents who had come forward for testing but turned his focus on those from the red zones who rejected the service.
‘I do feel obliged to inform you that in Broadmeadows and Keilor downs alone some 928 people refused to be tested,’ he said.
‘Now I can’t change that. That’s happened. All I can do is encourage those people come forward and get tested today.
‘Come forward and get tested tomorrow and in a broader sense if someone comes to your doorstep and asks you to be tested please say yes. Please get tested.’
Mr Andrews said the suburbs with the highest number of new cases were in Broadmeadows, Fawkner and Albanvale.
A mobile testing site is set up in Keilor Downs, Melbourne, amid the spike in COVID-19 cases
Premier Daniel Andrews on Tuesday afternoon revealed 928 residents in the two Melbourne suburbs had refused the swab
Worst days in Victoria
1. 111 new cases on 28 March
2. 96 new cases on 31 March
3. 84 new cases on 29 March
4. 75 new cases on 29 June
5. 68 new cases on 2 April
Residents of 36 suburbs in ten postcodes across Melbourne will be put under stay-at-home orders from midnight on Wednesday until July 29.
‘Such is the nature of this virus, it is so wildly infectious that if we don’t take these steps now we will finish up in a situation of rather than locking down ten postcodes, we will be locking down every postcode,’ Mr Andrews said.
Victoria recorded 64 new cases of the virus on Tuesday. The number, down from the 75 reported on Monday, is the state’s sixth-worst figure since the pandemic began.
Victoria ramped up testing over the past few days, conducting more than 17,400 tests on Monday alone, as officials tried to get a handle on the extent of the outbreaks.
Another 800 federal public servants and clinical staff will join Defence personnel helping the Victorian efforts and Mr Andrews said he wouldn’t hesitate to ask for extra help if needed.
Which 36 suburbs are being locked down again?
3012 – Brooklyn, Kingsville, Maidstone, Tottenham, West Footscray
3021 – Albanvale, Kealba, Kings Park, St Albans
3032 – Ascot Vale, Highpoint City, Maribyrnong, Travancore
3038 – Keilor Downs, Keilor Lodge, Taylors Lakes, Watergardens
3042 – Airport West, Keilor Park, Niddrie
3046 – Glenroy, Hadfield, Oak Park
3047 – Broadmeadows, Dallas, Jacana
3055 – Brunswick South, Brunswick West, Moonee Vale, Moreland West
3060 – Fawkner
3064 – Craigieburn, Donnybrook, Mickelham, Roxburgh Park, Kalkallo