in

New South Wales records just two cases of coronavirus overnight

New South Wales has recorded just two more cases of coronavirus with both in hotel quarantine. 

The new infections on Tuesday have brought the state’s total number to 4,017. 

Despite there being no new locally acquired cases, health authorities are urging residents to get tested for the mildest of symptoms.

The drop in infections comes after it was announced Queensland would open its border bubble to include five more shires in NSW. 

Both of the COVID-19 cases recorded in NSW on Tuesday are in returned travellers in hotel quarantine (pictured workers wear face mask at Opera Bar in Sydney)

Both of the COVID-19 cases recorded in NSW on Tuesday are in returned travellers in hotel quarantine (pictured workers wear face mask at Opera Bar in Sydney)

NSW Health said testing numbers had declined in recent weeks to more than 7,000 each day. 

‘NSW Health is appealing to the community to come forward for testing right away if you have a runny nose or scratchy throat, cough, fever or other symptoms that could be COVID-19,’ health authorities said.

‘If people don’t come forward and get tested, we can’t keep the pandemic at bay.

‘We would like to see testing levels above 20,000 as achieved last week, particularly in South Western Sydney, and ahead of school holidays. For the sake of your friends and family, get a test.’ 

There are 77 patients being treated for COVID-19 with three in intensive care and one on ventilation. 

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Tuesday as of next weekend the state would be open to more NSW residents after recording zero new cases. 

Residents of Byron Shire, Ballina, Lismore, the Richmond Valley including Casino and Evans Head, Glen Innes and 41 other postcodes will be added to the Queensland-NSW border bubble from 1am on October 1.

Ms Palaszczuk said those 125,000 NSW residents will be able to travel freely in Queensland and residents of her state will also be able to travel in far northern NSW. 

‘These areas have a lot in common with Queensland,’ she said on Tuesday morning. 

‘They usually do a lot of their business in Queensland so we believe that this is the right measure to take and we have also been in contact with the NSW authorities to advise them of this today as well.’ 

The announcement of border changes come as Queensland prepares to welcome ACT travellers back up north on Friday.

The border will open only to Canberrans who arrive by plane and anyone coming from NSW via the ACT will have to wait 14 days before being allowed to fly. 

More to come. 

Source link

Lack of sunshine does NOT make people feel more depressed, new study claims 

Driver caught in speed camera image snorting a mystery substance off his phone