Disturbing images show the horrific burns a teenage girl suffered after spilling a scorching hot coffee while at a McDonald’s restaurant.
Aareta Mohi, 18, ordered two coffees – a long black and a mocha – from the drive-thru of McDonald’s Princess Street in Palmerston North, in New Zealand on August 17.
Ms Mohi said the long black was so hot that it changed the shape of the takeaway cup, causing the lid to pop off and hot coffee to spill on her right hand.
She said the drive-thru worker ‘just stood there and watched’ before offering her some napkins.
Aareta Mohi, 18, has accused McDonald’s of being ‘inhumane’ for failing to provide medical assistance went she burnt herself with a takeaway coffee
Ms Mohi burnt herself while in the drive-thru of McDonald’s Princess Street (pictured) in Palmerston North, NZ on August 17
Speaking to Daily Mail Australia, Ms Mohi said she declined a cup holder for the coffees because she intended to use the in-built holders in her car.
‘I grabbed the mocha and put it down and then I took the long black, which was really hot,’ she said.
‘I was trying to rearrange some stuff to make room when the lid popped off. The cup had kind of melted in and the lid popped off, so I tried to catch it.
‘But the coffee just spilled from my knuckles right down my whole palm. It just burnt my whole hand.’
Ms Mohi said the drive-thru worker offered her napkins to clean up and a replacement coffee – but no ice or cold water to treat the severe burn.
‘The lady was just standing there and watching me. She also gave me a bit of attitude because she thought I was taking too long,’ she said.
‘I tried to quickly park up and waved my hand in the air to cool it down. I went inside to use the bathroom and pour cold water on my hand.
‘Even the cold water was bubbling when it touched my hand and felt hot.’
Pictures of Ms Mohi’s hand after the incident (left) show that it was completely red and swollen from the severe burn. In the following days, the dead skin began to peal back, revealing an unsightly wound (right) underneath
Ms Mohi said the drive through worker offered her napkins to clean up and a replacement coffee – but no ice or cold water to treat the severe burn
Pictures of Ms Mohi’s hand after the incident show that it was completely red and swollen from the severe burn.
Her father Rhys Mohi was shocked when his daughter came home in tears before rushing to the bathroom to again pour cold water on her right hand.
He then took her to the doctors where they wrapped her right hand hand in burn gauze.
In the following days, the dead skin began to peal back, revealing an unsightly wound underneath.
Ms Mohi works as a machine operator for Foodstuffs but is struggling to perform her job due to her injury, which has resulted in her hours being cut back.
‘I can barely pick up with my right hand. I have tuition and bills to pay for and it’s putting a lot of unnecessary stress on me,’ she said.
She is also studying full-time to become a Maori-language teacher but she says her course work is taking twice as long due to her injury.
Ms Mohi made a formal complaint to McDonald’s about the incident.
Ms Mohi works as a machine operator for Foodstuffs but is struggling to perform her job due to her injury, which has resulted in her hours being cut back
Ms Mohi said McDonald’s response to the incident had been ‘inhumane’. She said the main two issues were the fact that no one at McDonald’s had offered to help her and that the coffee was dangerously hot
A McDonald’s spokesman said barista training is to ensure takeaway cup lids are fitted properly, and there are warnings on cups that the contents may be hot
A McDonald’s spokesman said its staff weren’t alerted to the incident at the time.
He said the complaint has been treated very seriously, including a review of interior and exterior CCTV, which showed the coffee being passed to Ms Mohi.
‘The customer and their family were invited to come to the restaurant and view the CCTV and discuss the incident. The restaurant believes the CCTV shows the lid being removed from the cup by the customer, before it was spilled,’ he told stuff.co.nz.
The spokesman said they have ‘first aid trained staff on every shift’.
‘Part of our barista training is to ensure takeaway cup lids are fitted properly, and there are warnings on cups that the contents may be hot. Cup carriers are also offered, but in this case were declined,’ he said.
‘The management also checked if the customer made an ACC claim, which they hadn’t at that stage.’
He would not comment on the coffee’s temperature.