COLUMBIA, Mo. – The second-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide began the 2020 campaign with a 38-19 win over the Missouri Tigers on Saturday night at Memorial Stadium. The Tide opened the season with a win for the 14th straight year under head coach Nick Saban.
On offense, Alabama was led by Najee Harris’ career-high tying three rushing scores. The senior carried the ball 17 times for 92 yards while adding two catches for eight yards. Junior Jaylen Waddle paced all receivers with two scores and 134 yards on a career-high eight catches. Mac Jones finished his season-opening start an efficient 18-of-24 for 249 yards and two scores, connecting with Waddle on touchdowns of 18 and 23 yards.
Redshirt junior Daniel Wright paced all Tide defenders with a career-high 11 tackles, including one for loss. His tackle for loss was part of Alabama’s 8.0 for -37 yards. The 8.0 tackles for loss were the most by a Tide defense since UA posted 10.0 against Mississippi State on Nov. 10, 2018. Alabama also racked up 3.0 sacks with juniors Josh Jobe and LaBryan Ray each recording a sack while sophomore Christian Harris rounded out the group.
How It Happened
- 07:46 – UA | Najee Harris got the Crimson Tide on the board with a one-yard plunge for six. Harris was able to get to the endzone to cap off a 12-play, 66-yard drive that lasted 4:47.
- 04:14 – UA | Mac Jones found Jaylen Waddle open in the corner of the endzone for an 18-yard touchdown. The duo combined for 64 of the drive’s 66 yards, including a 48-yard pitch and catch to begin the drive.
- 14:37 – UA | Harris found the endzone for a second time on the day, crossing the goal line from one-yard out. The rush was part of an eight-play drive totaling 91 yards.
- 06:00 – MU | Missouri got on the board with a 27-yard field goal from Harrison Mevis. The three points ended a 50-yard drive that spanned 12 plays and 4:30 of action.
- 01:38 – UA | Alabama closed out the half’s scoring with a 23-yard touchdown reception by Waddle. The junior connected with Jones for a second time in the first half to extend the Crimson Tide’s lead.
- 09:45 – UA | Harris carried it across the goal line for his third score of the evening, this time from eight yards away. The rush finished a five-play, 37-yard scoring drive for the Crimson Tide.
- 01:09 – MU | The Tigers connected on a second field goal. The 18-play, 55-yard drive ended in a 37-yard field goal from Mevis.
- 08:28 – MU | Missouri’s first touchdown of the night came when quarterback Shawn Robinson connected down the field with Tyler Badie for a 54-yard score.
- 02:05 – UA | Will Reichard connected on a 34-yard field goal to add his name to the scorebook.
- 00:00 – MU | As the clock struck zero, Connor Bazelak capped off the night with a seven-yard rush into the endzone.
Alabama returns to Tuscaloosa for its 2020 home opener against No. 10/11 Texas A&M on Saturday, Oct. 3. The Crimson Tide and Aggies are scheduled for a 2:30 p.m. CT kickoff on CBS.