Stricter lockdown restrictions in North Wales are “inevitable” if cases of coronavirus continue to rise, a public health boss has warned.
Dr Giri Shankar, incident director for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said they were continuing to keep a close eye on infection rates in the region.
Half of Wales’ local authorities are now subject to stricter local lockdowns as cases continue to spike, but so far all of the North Wales counties have avoided fresh clampdowns.
That could change this week, with Welsh Government bosses meeting with leaders in North Wales in the coming days to discuss potential new rules.
Speaking to BBC Radio Wales on Monday, Dr Shankar said: “At the moment half the authorities [in Wales] are under some sort of local restrictions and we’re closely monitoring the local authority areas in North Wales, particularly Denbighshire, Flintshire, Conwy and Anglesey.
For more North Wales coronavirus news and latest updates, join our free newsletter community by signing up here
“Likewise all other areas are under daily monitoring and I know the government has already indicated their intention to speak to the leaders of the North Wales councils later this week.
“If the rates continue to go up there, then it would be inevitable that some restrictions will have to be brought in in these authority areas as well.”
Speaking previously about the situation in North Wales, the country’s first minister Mark Drakeford said it was a “mixed picture”.
He said that if a decision needed to be made, it would be, but they needed more time to look closely at the data to get a picture of what exactly was happening in each area.
If you want to take part in our survey on the new Welsh Covid-19 rules click here