in

REVEALED: Why Australia's 'youngest COVID-19 victim' in his 20s may NOT have died of the virus

The death of a man aged in his 20s who was reported to be Australia’s youngest COVID-19 fatality will be investigated by a coroner. 

The man, who has not been publicly identified, has been categorised as a ‘reportable death’ by the Coroners Court of Victoria, it was revealed on Thursday.  

Deaths confirmed to be the result of COVID-19 and other illnesses are not deemed a reportable death, the coroner’s office confirmed.

Reportable deaths include cases of suspected violence, accidents, homicide and suicide, or instances involving drugs, alcohol and poison.   

The man, who was infected with coronavirus when he died in August, has been categorised as a 'reportable death' by the Coroners Court of Victoria (pictured)

The man's death was announced by Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews (pictured) on August 14, alongside 13 others aged in their 80s and 90s

The man in his 20s, who was infected with coronavirus when he died in August, has been categorised as a ‘reportable death’ by the Coroners Court of Victoria (pictured, left). His death was announced by Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews (pictured, right) on August 14

The Victorian man's death from coronavirus made him the youngest victim in Australia. Picture: A nurse carrying out a COVID-19 test at a pop-up clinic in Ballarat

The Victorian man’s death from coronavirus made him the youngest victim in Australia. Picture: A nurse carrying out a COVID-19 test at a pop-up clinic in Ballarat

Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews’ announcement the young man had died, alongside 13 others aged in their 80s and 90s on August 14, shocked the nation. 

He noted the death might have further been investigated.

‘I can’t speak to the circumstances of that individual and it may well be the coroner will look at that matter and determine the circumstances,’ he said at the time. 

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton at the time noted the large proportion of mystery cases linked to people in the 20 to 29 age bracket.

‘That’s largely because we are linking a lot of our elderly cases to known outbreaks, they are known to be in residential aged care and known to be in hospital clusters or outbreaks as well,’ he said on August 14.  

‘(Young people) are more mobile probably, more essential activities for household, more engaged in the workforce, more opportunities for the age group to become infected and exposed to transmission.’

The nation’s COVID-19 death toll has since doubled – increasing from 375 nationwide on August 14 to 788 on Thursday.

Over the past few weeks, Victoria’s health authorities have “reclassified” a number of previously reported COVID-19 deaths. 

A total of 701 deaths have been in Victoria. 

The nation's COVID-19 death toll has since doubled - increasing from 375 nationwide on August 14 to 788 on Thursday. Pictured: Medical professionals performing COVID-19 tests at a drive through clinic at Ballarat

The nation’s COVID-19 death toll has since doubled – increasing from 375 nationwide on August 14 to 788 on Thursday. Pictured: Medical professionals performing COVID-19 tests at a drive through clinic at Ballarat

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton commented on the large proportion of mystery cases being linked to people in the 20 to 29 age bracket at the time of the man's death being announced. Pictured: People exercising in Melbourne

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton commented on the large proportion of mystery cases being linked to people in the 20 to 29 age bracket at the time of the man’s death being announced. Pictured: People exercising in Melbourne

Source link

Captain Sir Tom Moore gives rousing speech to 300 junior soldiers at Army Foundation College 

Leaked audio tapes suggest CNN anchor Chris Cuomo coached Michael Cohen ahead of 2018 TV appearance