‘Two years ago I hawked around my idea for a cooking show’: Radio host Ross Stevenson raises questions about Channel Seven’s new ‘original format’ show Plate Of Origin
It’s the cooking show that will see former MasterChef judges Gary Mehigan and Matt Preston join forces with My Kitchen Rules star Manu Feildel.
But Channel Seven’s new ‘original format’ show Plate of Origin has caught the attention of 3AW breakfast co-host Ross Stevenson for all the wrong reasons.
On Thursday morning, the Melbourne radio host voiced his concerns over the network’s newest offering.
‘Two years ago I hawked around my idea for a cooking show’: On Thursday, radio host Ross Stevenson (pictured) raised questions about Channel Seven’s new ‘original format’ show Plate Of Origin
‘Two years ago I hawked around my idea for a cooking show, called World Cup Of Food in which ethnic cuisines competed against each other in a format, to see which was the best [and] was told, “No, we’re not interested”,’ said Ross, 62.
‘So when I read that this new show is an original format, in which teams from diverse cultural backgrounds will compete to see which cuisine will reign supreme it is very, very familiar to me.’
He then added: ‘I’ll have a talk with someone today about how they came up with this so-called original format.’
They’re back! Former MasterChef judges Gary Mehigan (left) and Matt Preston (right) will return to TV in 2020 alongside their new co-host Manu Feildel (centre) in Channel Seven’s new cooking show Plate of Origin
Daily Mail Australia has contacted Channel Seven for comment.
According to Channel Seven, Plate of Origin ‘will be on a scale that Australia has never seen before’.
The self-described ‘worldwide food fight’ will pit teams from diverse cultural backgrounds against each other to ultimately decide which cuisine will reign supreme.
On Thursday, former MasterChef judge George Calombaris offered his former cast mates his support when the new show was announced at Channel Seven’s UpFronts.
It’s over! George (centre), Gary (left) and Matt (right) previously hosted MasterChef for 11 years before being dumped by Channel 10 in July
Taking to Instagram, the 41-year-old wrote: ‘Congrats great men Matt Preston, Gary Mehigan and Manu Feildel on your new show.’
‘I wish all the best. Another opportunity to put joy and happiness into peoples lives.’
George hosted MasterChef with Gary, 52, and Matt, 57, for 11 years before being dumped by Channel Ten in July.
Moving forward, the show will be hosted by new judges Andy Allen, Melissa Leong and Jock Zonfrillo in 2020.
New era: Rising culinary stars Andy Allen (left), Melissa Leong (centre)and Jock Zonfrillo (right) have been announced as the MasterChef replacements