Second coronavirus case confirmed in the US

Chinese travellers wearing masks at the airportImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

In China, the virus has put millions of people on mandatory lockdown

A second person in the US has been diagnosed with the coronavirus, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced.

The patient is reportedly a woman in her 60s who had returned home to Chicago from Wuhan in China – where the outbreak began – on 13 January.

The woman is in isolation in hospital and is stable, state officials say.

Globally, there are more than 800 confirmed cases of the virus, which has killed 26 people in China.

The patient felt symptoms after she returned home and was admitted to hospital “where infection control measures were taken to reduce the risk of transmission to other individuals,” the CDC said in a press release.

Health officials in Chicago are “investigating locations where this patient went after returning to Illinois and are identifying any close contacts who were possibly exposed”.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionWhat’s life like in quarantined Wuhan?

The first case of the infection was detected on 21 January in Washington state in a man who had recently returned from Wuhan.

On Thursday, Washington state officials said they were monitoring 43 people who were deemed “close contacts” of the patient for any signs of symptoms. Close contacts are deemed to be anyone who was within 6ft (2m) of the patient.

There are 63 patients in 22 states being investigated for signs of the rare respiratory illness, the CDC told reporters in a conference call on Friday.

US officials warn that there are no vaccines for the coronavirus, which is thought to have begun in animals before being transferred to humans, and there is no specific treatment plan.

Learn more about the new virus

Image copyright

Source link

Leave a Reply

Save on the Google Pixel 3A and Pixel 4, and get a free gift card with purchase

Coronavirus live updates: Second U.S. case confirmed in Illinois