KIDS allegedly abused at a nursery said they were touched “inappropriately” while having suncream put on them – as the owner revealed he saw “nothing untoward”.
Police have contacted more than 100 families after a teen nursery nurse allegedly sexually abused kids aged at least two at Jack and Jill’s in Torquay, Devon.
One person has been arrested and released on bail following an allegation involving a childCredit: Apex News
It is run by John Nelson with his wife Pam and daughter Lindsay (pictured)
The apprentice was arrested in July when a mum told police her child had been touched inappropriately but has since been released on bail until November 22.
One parent, who was visited by police last Sunday, said: “The police told us they believed it was girls rather than boys who may have been touched inappropriately.
“It is just so shocking. It makes you shiver to think about it.
“We’ve been told this all came out because one little girl complained to her mum about having sun cream rubbed on her in places it shouldn’t be necessary.
“Then someone else reported the same thing.”
Do you have a child at Jack and Jill’s? Call The Sun Online on 0207 782 4368 or email [email protected]
Police launched an investigation after they trawled 250 hours of CCTV at Jack and Jill Childcare.
But the owner John Nelson said he didn’t see anything when he watched the same CCTV footage, Mail Online reports.
John, who ran the nursery with wife Pam and daughter Lindsay, said: “We have CCTV and most nurseries don’t.
“We didn’t see anything untoward but then maybe we are not looking with the same eyes as the police.
“Maybe we see something and perhaps don’t see it as cause for concern.”
He also wouldn’t be drawn on whether the male worker had abused the children – saying it was up to the CPS and “judge and jury” to decide.
Mr Nelson, who is unsure when the nursery will re-open, added: “Nobody is allowed to be with any child on their own at any point but I would find it incredible if any other member of staff was complicit in anyway.”
Police received information relating to the allegations at the nursery earlier this year – but the decision by Ofsted wasn’t made to close the nursery until last month.
Parents have now expressed their fury at keeping the private nursery open for four months.
One said they were only told more children could be involved last week – despite being reassured the allegation in July was “isolated”.
They said: “The incident happened in July and was allowed to remain open. Only on Thursday 24th October were they closed by Ofsted and on Sunday were we informed of all of these further incidents.
“Something has gone majorly wrong when they had that amount of evidence on CCTV but had only been realised recently it was there.
“The incident was described as isolated and I had multiple conversations with management who assured me it was isolated, this means they’d obviously made no effort to view this prior to making the decision to remain open.”
Another mum, whose children were not abused but did attend the nursery, said: “The police rang me over the weekend and asked me questions about the children.
“I think the owners were able to tell the police which children have been potential victims.
“I was asked if the children’s behaviour had changed or if there were any issues.”
A multi-agency response involving Police, Local Authority, NHS Devon Clinical Commissioning Group and Ofsted, was launched to investigate the allegation of sexual assault.
The suspect is not allowed near the nursery while on bail and has been moved out of the area.
Letters have been sent to the parents of 52 pupils at the nursery – with specialist officers visiting mums and dads of those believed to be victims.
Acting Detective Chief Inspector James Stock, of the Public Protection Unit said: “As a result of CCTV enquires, a number of children aged 2+ have been identified as potential victims of contact offences.
“These appear to be the actions of a lone individual and the offences do not involve the taking or distributing of any images.”
The nursery is just 33 miles from where Little Teds nursery worker Vanessa George, who is feared to have abused up to 64 children and shared photographs of them with other perverts.
But cops said the probe is not like the chilling case and no indecent images were taken or shared.
The alleged sex abuse is understood to involve “contact” from the suspect to the toddlers and young children.
COLD AS ICE
Snow ‘to hit Britain this week’ in coldest November of the DECADE
Mum finds Sainsbury’s chicken meant for family of 5 is smaller than a FORK
Man who won ‘punching above weight’ gong & £1m Lotto spends it on his autistic kids
The US Army trick that will help you fall asleep anywhere in 120 seconds
‘I DARE YOU!’
Furious mum confronts her son’s bully and rages ‘I’ll rip your face off’
Police also do not believe the abuse took place outside the nursery and say members of staff were not aware.
The privately-run childcare nursery takes children from birth to five years and ran for 51 weeks of the year.
After the inquiry was launched, police uncovered “a number of concerns around safeguarding matters” and on October 24, Ofsted suspended the nursery’s licence.
Police are investigating a ‘serious incident’ at Jack and Jill nursery in TorquayCredit: Apex News