in

Sydney stabbing: St Peters knifeman hunted after father dead and son fighting for life

Loading...

The heartbroken family of a property manager who was stabbed to death at a Sydney construction site have stormed the crime scene to say goodbye.

Albert Metledge, 76, and son Antony, 33, were working at the site on Princes Highway in St Peters, in the city’s inner-west, when they were allegedly attacked by a man wearing a hi-vis shirt at 1pm on Wednesday. 

Police are still hunting a 49-year-old tradesman – believed to be known to the pair – who was last seen fleeing the scene wearing long blue work pants and brown shoes.

Mr Metledge died at the construction site while his son was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in a critical condition.

Scroll down for video 

Antony Metledge (pictured) was rushed to hospital in a critical condition on Wednesday

Antony Metledge (pictured) was rushed to hospital in a critical condition on Wednesday

A woman, believed to be family, was seen rushing towards the crime scene on Wednesday afternoon, 7News reported.

‘I need to say my goodbyes,’ she begged police through her tears. 

A family member said they were in ‘shock’ as they were forced to come to terms with the attack.

‘RIP Uncle Albert. The family is in shock and unable to talk or see anyone at the moment,’ he said in a statement.

‘We thank everyone but request privacy at this moment. Please let family and friends know.’

A police spokeswoman told Daily Mail Australia a knife had been located and would undergo forensic examination.  

A woman, believed to be family, was seen rushing towards the crime scene on Wednesday afternoon

A woman, believed to be family, was seen rushing towards the crime scene on Wednesday afternoon

A father, 76, has died and his son, 33, (pictured) is fighting for his life after the pair were stabbed at a Sydney construction site

A father, 76, has died and his son, 33, (pictured) is fighting for his life after the pair were stabbed at a Sydney construction site 

Police are still hunting the alleged knifeman, 49, who was wearing a yellow hi-vis shirt

 Police are still hunting the alleged knifeman, 49, who was wearing a yellow hi-vis shirt

The 49-year-old suspect – reportedly a Russian national – has been described as white, about 180cm tall, with a large build and a shaved head.    

Pictured: Antony Metledge who is in hospital in a critical condition

Pictured: Antony Metledge who is in hospital in a critical condition

Loading...

It’s understood he hitched a ride to Rockdale in the city’s south. 

A large-scale search is underway and people in Sydney’s south have been told to be on high alert after a man fitting his description was spotted in the area. 

NSW Police Inspector Chad Deegenaars said the man, who has no fixed address, is known to police ‘but nothing overly alarming’. 

‘Don’t approach this gentlemen if you see him,’ he said.  

Witnesses described hearing screams before seeing a man’s body covered in blood laying on the concrete near the worksite.

‘They were screaming a lot. They were working. We thought it was an accident,’ one woman said.

A witness described hearing screams before seeing a man's body laying on the concrete near the worksite

A witness described hearing screams before seeing a man’s body laying on the concrete near the worksite 

Police believe the suspect is known to both of the stabbed men and hitched a ride to Rockdale in the city's south

Police believe the suspect is known to both of the stabbed men and hitched a ride to Rockdale in the city’s south 

‘I saw a lot of blood.’ 

Junior Kamara, who has been working on the site for the past six months, said the two victims were father and son. 

He said the father was the owner of the company.  

He described the men as ‘good people’ and said he was unaware of anyone who might have had any sort of grievance against them.  

Shocked workers spoke to investigators at the scene of the stabbing in Sydney's inner-west

Shocked workers spoke to investigators at the scene of the stabbing in Sydney’s inner-west

The area was taped off while investigations into the stabbing continued on Wednesday

The area was taped off while investigations into the stabbing continued on Wednesday

Emergency crews were called to the site on Princes Highway in St Peters, in the city's inner-west at 1pm on Wednesday

Emergency crews were called to the site on Princes Highway in St Peters, in the city’s inner-west at 1pm on Wednesday

Source link

Loading...

Leave a Reply

Jogger is left paralysed for a month with terrifying ‘locked-in syndrome’

Nationals’ Strasburg calls out ‘#FakeNews’ after misleading Twitter video shows him snubbing Trump