The Chase star Jenny Ryan spoke of her joy after Simon Cowell called her to invite her back on X Factor: Celebrity after her shock elimination.
The 37-year-old appeared on This Morning on Monday to reveal she, like many viewers, was so upset when Nicole Scherzinger had first decided to not put her through.
She said: ‘I came home, cried a little bit, ate quite a lot of ice-cream. Then I got a phone call after what felt like the longest time. I got a call from Simon inviting me to come back.’
Scroll down for video
She’s BACK! The Chase’s Jenny Ryan spoke to This Morning on Monday about getting that phone call from Simon Cowell to invite her back on X Factor: Celebrity following shock axe
Doing his thing: Jenny admitted that before Simon’s call to make her this year’s wild card, she ‘went home, cried and ate lots of ice-cream’
Jenny said that she couldn’t believe how much the public had backed her.
She said: ‘I was not expecting that level of support from the public. After my first audition, the flood of comments I got on social media was overwhelming.
‘It was so uplifting and so wonderful. I have to say thank you who took the time to write in and make their feelings known. That wave of affection and admiration is enough to lift anybody.’
Jenny said: ‘I was not expecting that level of support from the public. After my first audition, the flood of comments I got on social media was overwhelming’
Adding: ‘It was so uplifting and so wonderful. I have to say thank you who took the time to write in and make their feelings known. That wave of affection and admiration is enough to lift anybody’
Ahead of her return to the show, she said: ‘I knew I couldn’t have done anymore with my performance. I knew I’d given it everything and put everything into that performance’
Jenny had shown incredible talent when she first auditioned on the show a week ago, performing Queen’s hit, Somebody To Love.
She said: ‘It was a risk to do such a big, iconic song. It’s very difficult to do but it was very much, go big or go home. This was my one opportunity and as it turned out, this wasn’t the right time for me, [she had first thought].
‘I’ve always enjoyed singing and I’ve always tried to get some singing in. I never thought I had that kind of voice. I’ve always learned to sing quite classically. Pop singing is a whole new skill set to learn.
No more tears: The judges did a U-turn after viewers threatened to boycott the show amid her shock exit
‘I knew I couldn’t have done anymore with my performance. I knew I’d given it everything and put everything into that performance.
‘I’m also a pragmatist and those judges on The X Factor are looking for something in particular. The X Factor is a mystery and only they can put their finger on it.’
Twitter went wild on Saturday night when Jenny failed to make it through to the next stages of X Factor, before Simon decided to make her this year’s wild card.
The shock decision comes after the flame-haired star’s elimination caused shocked fans to brand the show a ‘fix’, with several threatening to boycott the series.
Sad: Jenny had put on a brave face after Nicole Scherzinger told her she would be leaving the competition
After the initial choice had been made, the judges sat down to once again consider the celebrities’ performance.
And after much deliberation, Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh and Nicole decided that Jenny ‘The Vixen’ Ryan deserved a place in the lives.
Speaking of the change, Nicole said: ‘Jenny was just brilliant at her audition in LA. That voice of hers is one of a kind, and she’s an amazing person to get to know. So it was such a tough decision to make.
‘After a lot of discussion we all agreed we had to put her through. The Overs are gonna smash it this year!’
While an overwhelmed Jenny added: ‘I’ve loved every moment of The X Factor and I’m delighted to be able to get the opportunity to perform live.
‘The response from the public has been amazing – what an incredible experience. I’m so pleased it’s continuing!’
Saturday’s show saw the second installment of the revamped singing competition saw the next batch of stars perform in front of the judges as well as a plethora of other industry bigwigs.
At the end of the episode, former Pussycat Doll Nicole, 41, sat down with each member of her Overs category and delivered their fate.
Rage: At the end of the episode, former Pussycat Doll Nicole, 41, sat down with each member of her Overs category and delivered their fate
Verdict: ‘Even though you have such a distinct, unique voice, I just wonder if you’re versatile enough in the live shows. I can’t give you a yes. I’m so sorry, Jenny’
And it was Jenny who was given the elbow as Nicole told her: ‘I felt such joy when you performed yesterday, because I felt that you felt joyful.
‘Even though you have such a distinct, unique voice, I just wonder if you’re versatile enough in the live shows.
‘I can’t give you a yes. I’m so sorry, Jenny.’
Fans were even more incensed as acts including Ricki Lake and Martin Bashir, who had been considered as having less superior vocal abilities than Jenny, made it through.
Coronation Street’s Victoria Ekanoye also made it to the lives, though she left everyone on their feet with her stunning performance.
Wow: The decision came as a surprise to viewers seeing as Jenny wowed everyone the previous week with a belting rendition of Queen’s hit Somebody To Love
Blown away: The amazed judges were on their feet after Jenny performed last week
Taking to Twitter in their droves, outraged viewers branded the show a ‘fix’, while many declared they’ll no longer be watching the ITV show.
So much was the furore, that the hashtag #justiceforjenny began circulating on Twitter.
‘Think this #XFactorCelebrity is an absolute fix, @jenlion gets sent home yet Martin Bashir goes through…..absolutely bang out of order…….#justiceforjenny’ wrote one viewer.
While another shocked fan said: ‘Can’t believe @jenlion didn’t get through, wtf #XFactorCelebrity, must be a fix surely.. Won’t be watching it no more!!’
A third ranted: ‘#XFactorCelebrity really!?! Jenny Ryan not through to the lives!?! Wow, that’s a boycott. By far she was in top 3 of the auditions……. Strictly come Dancing!, your ratings have just increased by one.’
‘OMG just seen that @jenlion didnt get through to the lives! WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K!! I’ve turned @TheXFactor OFF! I will not be turning it on anymore,’ fumed a fourth watcher.
Not impressed: Taking to Twitter in their droves, outraged viewers branded the show a ‘fix’, while many declared they’ll no longer be watching the ITV show
‘#XFactorCelebrity jenny was amazing crazy not putting her through. Last time I will be watching that no point it’s a fix not done fairly at all,’ ranted a fifth fan.
‘Martin!!! Not Jenny… absolute farce! Disgusting decision and I for one and I hope thousands more will just not watch and put money into the pockets of these self indulged, so called professionals ! Clearly all picked for their ratings alone.#XFactorCelebrity,’ said another.
With a further unimpressed person adding: ‘What a load of crap. This is not a talent show. Jenny was easily the best singer in her category. Will not watch another minute of this nonsense. #XFactorCelebrity.’
Jenny’s exit comes as ex football star Vinnie Jones was sent thorough to the X Factor: Celebrity live finals, despite being absent from the audition stages after he pulled out for ‘personal reasons’.
The actor, 54, was due to appear on the ITV programme, however he decided not to take part following the death of his wife Tanya in July earlier this year.
During Saturday’s episode of show ahead of the announcement about who had made it through in the Overs category, Simon revealed Vinnie would still take part.
The music mogul rang the on-screen hard man and asked if he would still be willing to feature in the live episodes of the show and he said ‘yes’.
Simon told him: ‘We’d love you to be on the live shows this year, we’d welcome you and give you all the help you need.’
Vinnie and Jenny join 11 other acts in the live shows including Megan Mckenna, Kevin McHale and The Islanders.
The X Factor: Celebrity’ will return next Saturday at 8.20pm on ITV.
He’s back! Vinnie Jones was sent thorough to the X Factor: Celebrity despite being absent from the audition stages after he pulled out for ‘personal reasons’ following the passing of his wife