‘We’ve lost everything’: Young couple with a six-month-old baby fight to rebuild their lives after their home was gutted by bushfires
- Family lost their home when bushfires tore through Milton, New South Wales
- Casey and Sarah who have a six-month-old are asking for help to rebuild lives
- The family were forced to flee their home after thick smoke began to close in
A young family has been left with nothing after devastating bushfires ripped through their home.
On New Year’s Eve, bushfires tore through Milton on New South Wales’ South Coast, destroying the home of Casey, Sarah and their six-month-old daughter Luna.
The family fled from the house earlier last month and are now fighting to rebuild their lives after losing everything.
Scroll down for video
Casey, Sarah and their six-month-old daughter Luna (pictured) lost their home near Milton, NSW on New Year’s Eve
The family are now asking people to donate to help them recover.
‘We sit here with sadness in our hearts after the Currowan fire ripped through our little family home,’ they wrote on a GoFundMe page.
As thick smoke began to surround the house, the family were left with no choice but to leave.
‘We decided we would stay with family and come back each day if we could wet down the house and put feed and water out for all the poor suffering animals,’ they said.
‘We packed a few precious items for the three of us, but we never believed that we would lose everything!’
‘Our beautiful little home in the forest where our love story began, where we brought our baby girl home from hospital only 6 months ago is gone, all our precious items are gone.’
The couple said in the wake of the bushfires they are ‘lost’ and have seen the homes of countless other families being destroyed.
The family’s home and everything inside it was completely destroyed when bushfires ravaged the town
The couple say they are ‘lost’ without their home and are asking people to help rebuild their lives
‘So many family’s have lost so much. People have lost lives, animals, homes and businesses. We have heard so many horrific stories of people losing their lives trying to defend their homes,’ the couple said.
‘It is truly the most terrifying times we have ever seen. People are being left with nothing!’
The young family said one of their relatives who is just one-year-old suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while they were fleeing from the flames.
The family has so far raised more than $5,000 on the GoFundMe page.
The family initially fled their home earlier last month as thick smoke began to surround the area
In Lake Conjola, north of Milton, families were forced to flee their homes as fires raged on.
A 70-year-old man was found dead outside a home at Yatte Yattah, west of Lake Conjola, at the end of last month, while another man’s body was found in a burnt vehicle on a road off the Princes Highway at Yatte Yattah a day later.
Homes were also lost in Batemans Bay and nearly 3,300 families were without power on Tuesday.
So far 26 people have died in the bushfires and almost 2,000 homes have been destroyed across Australia.
A kangaroo is seen skipping past a burning home in Lake Conjola on New Year’s Eve